Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    Somebody go get this, i'm all road tripped out. Almost got this on my way back from Seneca Falls yesterday, but i would have had to take the really long way back home around the other end of the lake.

    110v DC Generator 375 W-build your windmill or hydroelectric - farm & garden - by owner - sale
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    It's cool but I don't think there is much value in that. WE made lot's of stuff back in the day.
    The coolest motor apparatus that I own is a 1/3 HP electric motor built by Emerson. Open frame with beautiful figured end bells. Unique in that when you plug it in the rotor will spin up to speed but the shaft doesn't rotate until a centrifugal clutch engages with a snap. It's designed like that since it has very low starting torque.
    I think it's going on about 100 years old. Still works a charm.

    BillWojo

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    That's really cool. Guys that rebuild and use old wood working and metal working machines love old motors that age. I know this isn't designed as a motor, but it's still really neat. I had a motor marked with Western Electric at one time, but I was told it was actually manufactured by another company..... GE, I think.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    Bill, and anyone interested, if you like old motors with unique starting schemes you simply MUST see this:



    - - - Updated - - -

    I had a motor marked with Western Electric at one time, but I was told it was actually manufactured by another company..... GE, I think.
    By the looks of the casting it wouldn't surprise me if this one is a re-badged Century. An antique engine guy will eventually grab it i'd guess.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    Thanks, that was a neat video. I understand what was happening but have never seen a motor built like that. Makes sense when trying to get a big load up to speed, like my Emerson it just doesn't make enough start up torque.
    For those who don't understand what your seeing, the outer frame of the motor, usually held stationary in a normal design, is allowed to spin up to the rated speed of the motor and the rotor is stationary due to the large load imposed upon it.
    The wheel that the fellow is turning is causing a large band brake to slow down the outer motor frame, the magnetic field imposed on the rotor starts the rotor to slowly accelerate. The differential of the speeds between the frame and rotor is the motors rated RPM and at that RPM it produces it's fully rated HP. As the frame slowly grinds to a halt, the rotor is now up to full speed.
    Very ingenious idea!

    BillWojo

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    Wow, I've never seen anything like that. I wonder what it's running.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Western Electric For Your Collection or Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Wow, I've never seen anything like that. I wonder what it's running.
    Flour mill.

    FWIW, while i cannot find any clear patent history, i believe the alternating current synchronous motor was invented by Laurens Hammond.

    He developed one of the first well regarded electric clocks using the principle, and by the 1930's would be using his invention to develop the tone wheel, draw bar electronic organs we all love.

    We've got one of these in the workshop. Apparently Mr Hammond sold a boat load of em to uncle Sam:

    2
    Last edited by bowtie427ss; January 5th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.